In the last 5 years, the global demand for digital marketers has grown by 152%, according to ExplodingTopics.
However, the competition in the digital marketing industry, especially in India, is also high.
This is why professionals looking to grow their careers in digital marketing must stand out from average digital marketers.
The question is: How?
In this guide, I will walk you through 7 practical and easy-to-follow steps on how to get digital marketing internships in 2023.
This includes tips from learning the required skills to networking with the right people and community members.
In fact, these exact tips have helped our 1000+ digital marketing students to get their internships and high-paying jobs at top MNCs such as Disney Hotstar, Accenture, America Express, and more.
Table of Contents
Before we dive into the guide, download our digital marketing syllabus (PDF).
What do digital marketing interns do?
Digital marketing interns usually work with experienced professionals in social media marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, email marketing, content marketing, and other areas.
Digital marketing interns should be eager to learn, pay attention to details, and communicate well. They may work on multiple jobs simultaneously, so they need to be able to put tasks in order of importance to meet goals.
The jobs and responsibilities of a digital marketing intern will depend on the company they work for, but here are some typical ones:
- Manage social media accounts: As an intern, you will be responsible for handling social media accounts, including post creation and tracking performance.
- Content creation: A common task for digital marketing interns is content creation, like blogs, visuals, and videos, depending on your expertise.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): The core of digital marketing; as an intern, you might be asked to conduct keyword research and even conduct website and competitor analysis.
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising: You might be responsible for setting up various PPC ad campaigns or tracking the performance of live campaigns.
- Email marketing: If you’re proficient, you can create emailers on tools or even handle subscriber lists and analyze the performance of the emailers as an intern.
- Analytics and reporting: Interns may help collect and analyze data to rate the success of digital marketing efforts and make reports for internal teams or clients.
Also, digital marketers specializing in influencer marketing are responsible for finding and working with influencers to improve brand awareness and drive conversions.
📌 Check out GrowthAcad’s digital marketing training classes in Pune.
Contact us now and get your first class for free. Join only if you’re satisfied with the training.
Learn how much digital marketing courses cost in India.
How to get a digital marketing Internship (Step-by-Step guide)
If you like what digital marketing interns do, follow these steps to increase your chances of bagging a great internship:
1. Build your knowledge and skills
Before applying for digital marketing internships, building your knowledge and skills in this field is essential.
Here are some of the most important skills you should be proficient in:
- Gain a fundamental understanding of digital marketing: Start by familiarizing yourself with the basics of digital marketing. Learn about various digital marketing channels, such as search engine optimization (SEO), social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, and pay-per-click (PPC) advertising.
- Take online courses or certifications: Online platforms like GrowthAcad, Udemy, and Google Digital Garage offer comprehensive digital marketing courses and certifications. Look for courses covering digital marketing aspects, including strategy development, analytics, campaign management, and social media advertising.
- Develop analytical skills: Data analysis is an integral part of digital marketing. Familiarize yourself with tools like Google Analytics, which can provide valuable insights into website traffic, user behavior, and campaign performance. Learn how to interpret data and make data-driven decisions.
- Improve your writing skills: Content creation and copywriting are important skills in digital marketing. Enhance your writing skills by practicing writing blog posts, social media content, ad copies, and email newsletters. Learn how to tailor your writing to engage and persuade target audiences.
- Learn search engine optimization (SEO) techniques: SEO plays a significant role in driving organic traffic to websites. Understand the fundamentals of SEO, including keyword research, on-page optimization, link building, and technical SEO. Stay updated with the latest SEO trends and algorithm changes.
📌 Join GrowthAcad’s online SEO course and learn the fundamentals of SEO and how to drive traffic and revenue for your clients using SEO.
- Gain social media marketing expertise: Social media platforms are powerful marketing channels. Learn how to create engaging content, develop strategies, and analyze social media metrics. Familiarize yourself with popular platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
📌 Related: Discover the complete digital marketing syllabus and key skills required to become a top digital marketer in 2023.
2. Create a detailed resume and portfolio
Your resume and portfolio are essential to showcase your skills and experience to potential employers. Your resume should highlight relevant experience, education, skills, and achievements. Here are some examples and guidelines to help you:
2.1 Creating a Killer Resume:
- Contact Information: Include your full name, phone number, email address, and LinkedIn profile (if applicable).
- Objective Statement or Summary: Write a concise statement highlighting your career goals and summarizing your key qualifications for a digital marketing internship.
- Education: List your educational background, including the degree(s) you have obtained or are pursuing, the name of the institution, and the graduation date (or expected graduation date).
- Relevant Experience: Include any internships, part-time jobs, or freelance work demonstrating your digital marketing skills. Provide details about your responsibilities and accomplishments in each role.
- Skills: List relevant technical skills, such as proficiency in social media platforms, SEO tools, content management systems, analytics software, and advertising platforms. Include both hard skills (e.g., Google Ads, Facebook Ads) and soft skills (e.g., communication, teamwork).
- Projects: Highlight any projects you have completed that showcase your digital marketing skills. This could include creating and managing social media campaigns, optimizing websites for SEO, or developing content marketing strategies. Briefly describe each project and its outcomes.
- Certifications and Courses: Mention any relevant certifications or online courses you have completed, such as Google Ads Certification, HubSpot Inbound Marketing Certification, or courses on platforms like Coursera or Udemy.
- Achievements and Awards: If you have received any accolades or recognition related to digital marketing or relevant fields, include them to demonstrate your achievements.
- References: Optionally, you can provide references from professors, mentors, or previous employers who can vouch for your skills and work ethic. Make sure to seek their permission before including their contact information.
2.2 Creating A Portfolio That Sells:
A digital marketing portfolio is a collection of work samples demonstrating your skills and capabilities.
Here are some examples of what you can include:
- Blog Articles: If you have written blog articles, include a selection that showcases your writing style, ability to engage readers, and knowledge of SEO.
- Social Media Campaigns: Include examples of successful social media campaigns you have created. Show the strategy, content, and results achieved.
- Ad Copies: Showcase samples of ad copies you have written for various platforms like Google Ads, Facebook Ads, or LinkedIn Ads.
- SEO Projects: Include examples of websites or web pages you have optimized for search engines. Highlight the keywords targeted, improvements made, and the increased organic traffic.
- Content Marketing: Provide samples of content you have created, such as articles, infographics, videos, or podcasts. Show your ability to develop valuable and engaging content for target audiences.
- Analytics Reports: Share reports that demonstrate your ability to analyze data and derive actionable insights from tools like Google Analytics or social media analytics platforms.
- Website Design or Optimization: If you have experience in website design or optimization, showcase examples of websites you have worked on, highlighting improvements in user experience, SEO, and conversion rates.
- Client or Team Projects: If you have collaborated on digital marketing projects for clients or as part of a team, including case studies that outline the project objectives, your role, strategies implemented, and measurable results.
📌Related: Become a social media marketing pro with GrowthAcad’s social media marketing courses online.
Remember to present your portfolio in a visually appealing and organized manner. You can create a dedicated website or use platforms like Behance, LinkedIn, or Google Drive to showcase your work samples.
By combining a well-crafted resume with a comprehensive portfolio, you can effectively demonstrate your skills, knowledge, and experience to potential employers in digital marketing.
3. Network and reach out to digital marketing professionals
Networking is essential to obtaining a digital marketing apprenticeship. Attend networking events, join online communities, and connect with industry professionals. Communicate your interest in digital marketing to professionals through LinkedIn and other social media platforms. Request their guidance or mentorship, and inquire about internship opportunities.
When reaching out to professionals in the digital marketing industry, it’s important to be respectful, concise, and personalized in your messages.
Below, I have listed message templates you can use to contact experts and professionals for guidance and internship opportunities.
3.1 Digital Marketing Professionals
Identify professionals in digital marketing roles or associated with companies you’re interested in. Reach out to them for advice, insights, and potential internship opportunities.
Here’s a message template to reach out to marketing professionals:
Dear [Professional’s Name],
I hope this message finds you well. My name is [Your Name], and I am a [your current role or student pursuing a degree in marketing] with a keen interest in digital marketing. I recently came across your profile on [platform], and I’m impressed by your expertise and achievements in the industry.
I would greatly appreciate any guidance or insights you could provide regarding breaking into the digital marketing field. I am particularly interested in [specific areas of digital marketing, such as social media marketing or SEO]. If you have any internship opportunities or recommendations, I would be thrilled to learn more about them.
Thank you for considering my request, and I look forward to hearing from you.
3.2 Alumni or Professors
Connect with alumni or professors from your university with experience or connections in the digital marketing industry.
They can provide valuable advice, refer you to internship opportunities, or introduce you to their professional network.
Here’s a message template to reach out to alumni or professors:
Hi [Alumnus/Professor’s Name],
I am a [your current year or graduate] student at [University Name], studying marketing. I recently came across your profile and noticed your extensive experience in the digital marketing field.
As I am passionate about pursuing a career in digital marketing, I would like to know if you are available for a brief informational interview or coffee chat. I would appreciate any insights, advice, or recommendations you could provide, particularly in relation to digital marketing internships or potential opportunities in the industry.
Thank you for considering my request, and I look forward to connecting with you soon.
3.3 Digital Marketing Communities
Join online communities, forums, or LinkedIn groups focused on digital marketing. Engage with professionals in these communities by participating in discussions, asking thoughtful questions, and showcasing your knowledge. This can help you build connections and potentially uncover internship opportunities.
Here’s a message template to reach out to digital marketing community members:
Dear [Community Member’s Name],
I hope you’re doing well. I’ve been an active member of [community name] for some time now and have consistently admired the insights and expertise shared by its members.
I am a [your current role or student pursuing a degree in marketing] with a strong interest in digital marketing. I’m reaching out to express my admiration for your contributions and to see if you have any advice or recommendations for someone like me who is eager to break into the industry. I am particularly interested in [specific areas of digital marketing].
I appreciate any insights you can provide and look forward to continuing to learn from your experiences.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Remember to personalize each message based on the individual you’re reaching out to. Show genuine interest in their work and seek advice or guidance rather than directly asking for internships. Networking is about building relationships, so be respectful and patient and always express gratitude for their time and consideration.
4. Research internship opportunities
Look for companies that offer digital marketing internships and research their requirements and application process. Some companies post their internships on job boards, while others list them on their websites. Read the job description thoroughly and tailor your application to the company’s needs.
To find digital marketing internship opportunities, you can follow these steps and utilize various resources:
4.1 Job Search Engines and Websites
Visit popular job search engines and websites such as Indeed, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and InternMatch. Use keywords like “digital marketing internship” or “digital marketing intern” to search for relevant positions. Filter the search results based on location, industry, or specific companies you’re interested in.
4.2 Company Career Pages
Explore the career pages of companies you admire or have a strong digital presence. Many companies list internship opportunities on their websites.
Look for sections like “Careers,” “Jobs,” or “Internships” to find relevant openings.
Here’s an example of a career page:
4.3 Professional Networking Platforms
Utilize professional networking platforms like LinkedIn to discover digital marketing internship opportunities. Connect with professionals in the industry and follow relevant company pages.
Engage with their content and keep an eye out for internship postings or updates they might share.
4.4 University Career Centers
Check with your university’s career center or job placement office. They often have dedicated resources for internships and can provide information on digital marketing opportunities available through their network or partnerships with companies.
4.5 Industry Events and Networking
Attend digital marketing conferences, seminars, or networking events both online and offline. These events are excellent opportunities to connect with industry professionals and learn about internship opportunities directly.
Participate in discussions, ask questions, and express your interest in internships during networking interactions.
4.6 Online Communities and Forums
Join digital marketing communities, forums, and groups on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Reddit platforms. Engage in discussions, ask for advice, and keep an eye out for internship postings shared within these communities. Additionally, some communities may share specific job boards or internship opportunities within the group.
5. Apply for internships
Once you have identified potential companies, start applying for internships. Follow the application instructions carefully and tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific internship. Show how your skills and experience align with the company’s needs.
Here is a good example of a resume that you can use to leave an impact on the recruiter:
- [Your Name]
- [Address, City, State, ZIP Code]
- [Phone Number]
- [Email Address]
- [LinkedIn Profile]
Marketing student seeking a digital marketing internship to apply my skills in driving online engagement and optimizing digital campaigns.
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing (Expected [Graduation Date])
- [University Name], [City, State]
- Social media management
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Content creation
- Google Analytics
- Email marketing
Digital Marketing Intern | [Company Name] | [City, State] | [Dates]
- Assisted in managing social media accounts and creating engaging content.
- Conducted SEO research and optimized website content.
- Monitored campaign performance using Google Analytics.
- Supported email marketing campaigns.
- Developed and executed a social media campaign, increasing followers by 40%.
- Created content marketing materials resulting in a 35% increase in website conversions.
- Google Ads Certification
- HubSpot Inbound Marketing Certification
Available upon request
Remember to customize these templates by adding relevant experiences, skills, and certifications. Keep the resume concise and highlight key achievements and responsibilities in your previous roles or projects.
6. Prepare for interviews
If you are selected for an interview, you should thoroughly prepare. Research the company, comprehend its values, and be prepared to discuss your experience and abilities. Prepare questions to ask the interviewer, such as what the internship involves, what skills they seek, and what development and learning opportunities are available. Furthermore, here are some important digital marketing interview questions you may encounter:
- Why do you want to do a digital marketing internship?
- What are your specialized digital marketing talents and experience?
- Can you provide me with an example of a successful digital marketing campaign or project you’ve worked on?
- How do you remain current on digital marketing developments and technologies?
- Have you utilized any particular digital marketing tools or platforms (for example, Google Analytics or social media management tools)?
- What methods do you use to perform market research and select target consumers for digital marketing campaigns?
- Can you share your knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO) and how it affects digital marketing strategies?
- What indicators do you use to assess the performance of a digital marketing campaign?
- Have you used paid advertising platforms such as Google AdWords or Facebook Ads? Can you tell me about your experience?
- How do you go about developing compelling content for digital marketing?
- Can you give an example of a time when you encountered a problem in a digital marketing project and how you overcame it?
- How do you manage and prioritize several digital marketing activities or initiatives at the same time?
7. Follow up
Follow up with the interviewer to convey your interest in the internship and to appreciate them for their time.
This demonstrates your zeal and professionalism and will set you apart from other candidates.
Skills and requirements to get a digital marketing internship
To secure a digital marketing internship, there are certain skills and requirements that employers may look for in candidates.
While the specific skills and requirements may vary depending on the company and the internship position, here are some of the most common ones:
1. Marketing knowledge and understanding
Candidates should have a fundamental understanding of marketing concepts and principles to be considered for a digital marketing internship. They should be familiar with the marketing mix (product, price, place, promotion), market segmentation, target audience identification, and brand positioning. Understanding how digital marketing fits within the broader marketing landscape is also important.
2. Familiarity with digital marketing channels
Digital marketing interns should know various digital marketing channels, such as social media, SEO, PPC, email marketing, content marketing, and more. They should understand how these channels work and how they can be used to achieve marketing goals.
3. Analytical skills
Data analysis is critical to digital marketing, so interns should possess analytical skills to interpret data and make informed decisions. They should be comfortable using tools like Google Analytics, Excel, and other data visualization tools to track and analyze marketing campaigns’ performance.
4. Creativity and innovation
The digital marketing landscape is constantly evolving, and interns should possess creativity and innovation skills to keep up with the trends and develop new ideas. They should be able to think outside the box and come up with innovative marketing strategies that align with the company’s goals.
5. Communication skills
Interns should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, as they will be working with other marketing team members and may be responsible for communicating with clients. They should be able to articulate ideas clearly and concisely and be able to adapt their communication style to the audience.
6. Technical skills
While not always required, technical skills can be an advantage for digital marketing interns. They should be familiar with various marketing tools and platforms, such as social media management tools, email marketing software, CMS systems, etc. Familiarity with basic HTML/CSS coding or graphic design skills can also be helpful.
How to choose the right digital marketing training program in India?
When selecting a digital marketing training program in India, choosing a program that offers high-quality education and training is essential.
Here are some qualities of a good digital marketing training program:
- Experienced Faculty: The faculty should be experienced and have years of industry experience in digital marketing, with a deep understanding of the latest trends and practices.
- Learning style: Choose the content format (video, live classes, text, audio, etc.) you’re most comfortable with.
- Read reviews of the programs: Check out the third-party reviews about the institution and mentors.
- Talk to ex-students of the digital marketing institute: Reach out to ex-students of the digital marketing program to learn from their honest experience.
- Industry-Relevant Curriculum: The curriculum should be designed to provide practical knowledge and skills relevant to the industry’s current demands.
- Hands-on Training: Practical training with real-world projects and assignments is crucial to gain hands-on experience in digital marketing.
- Certification: A good digital marketing training program should offer recognized certifications that add value to your resume.
- Placement Assistance: The training program should offer 100% placement assistance to help students find job opportunities in the industry.
One such digital marketing training program in India that fulfills all the above criteria is GrowthAcad’s Digital Marketing Course. GrowthAcad offers its digital marketing training program in Pune and Nagpur, providing a comprehensive curriculum covering all digital marketing aspects.
Here are some key features of GrowthAcad’s Digital Marketing Course:
- Experienced Faculty: The faculty at GrowthAcad comprises industry experts with extensive experience in digital marketing.
- Comprehensive Curriculum: The course covers all aspects of digital marketing, including SEO, SEM, PPC, Social Media Marketing, Email Marketing, Analytics, and more.
- Hands-on Training: The course provides practical training with real-world projects and assignments to gain hands-on experience.
- Certification: GrowthAcad offers a recognized certification upon completion of the course, which adds value to your resume.
- Placement Assistance: GrowthAcad provides placement assistance to help students find job opportunities in the industry.
GrowthAcad’s Digital Marketing Course in Pune and Nagpur is a great option for those looking to learn digital marketing and gain practical experience. If you’re interested in taking your first step towards a career in digital marketing, consider GrowthAcad’s Digital Marketing Course as your next step.
How to get a digital marketing internship without any prior knowledge (for freshers)
Getting a digital marketing internship as a fresher with no prior knowledge can seem daunting, but it’s not impossible. Here are some steps you can follow to increase your chances of getting an internship:
- Learn the Basics: Start by learning the basics of digital marketing, including SEO, SEM, Social Media Marketing, and Email Marketing.
- Build a Portfolio: Create a portfolio showcasing your digital marketing skills and knowledge. Include projects you have completed, and highlight any relevant coursework or certifications.
- Apply for Internships: Start applying for digital marketing internships that are designed for freshers. Look for internships that provide training and hands-on experience.
- Networking: To build your network, connect with industry professionals and attend events and conferences. This can help you find out about internship opportunities and gain valuable insights into the industry.
- Consider a Training Program: Enrolling in a digital marketing training program, like the one offered by GrowthAcad, can help you gain the necessary skills and knowledge to land an internship.
GrowthAcad offers a comprehensive digital marketing course that provides both theoretical knowledge and practical training.
Upon completion of the course, students can also apply for internship opportunities provided by GrowthAcad, which can be a great way to gain hands-on experience in the industry.
What is the salary of a digital marketing intern?
The salary of a digital marketing intern can vary depending on the company, location, and the candidate’s experience level. According to data from Internshala and Glassdoor, the salary range for a digital marketing intern in India is typically between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 25,000 per month.
Here’s a table of the salary range for digital marketing interns in major cities in India:
|City||Monthly salary Range (₹)|
|Mumbai||Rs. 12,000 – Rs. 25,000|
|Delhi||Rs. 10,000 – Rs. 20,000|
|Bangalore||Rs. 12,000 – Rs. 25,000|
|Pune||Rs. 10,000 – Rs. 20,000|
|Hyderabad||Rs. 10,000 – Rs. 18,000|
|Chennai||Rs. 10,000 – Rs. 18,000|
|Nagpur||Rs. 8,000 – Rs. 15,000|
📌 Check out GrowthAcad’s digital marketing program and courses in Nagpur.
Contact us now and get your first class for free. Join only if you’re satisfied with the training.
FAQs of Digital marketing internship
Is GrowthAcad’s digital marketing training program beneficial for an internship?
Getting an internship in digital marketing is possible after completing GrowthAcad’s digital marketing training program in Nagpur and Pune. Students can use their newly acquired knowledge of digital marketing for real-world initiatives as part of this training program. In addition, students who complete the course and are interested in gaining expertise in digital marketing can apply for internships through GrowthAcad.
How can I apply for a digital marketing internship online?
To apply for a digital marketing internship online, search for internships on job portals, company websites, and social media platforms. Find internships that match your skills and interests and are designed for your experience level.
Read the requirements and application instructions carefully.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and portfolio showcasing your skills and experience.
Tailor your application to the specific internship you’re applying for and follow up after a few days to show interest. Additionally, contact your network for referrals or recommendations for internships in the digital marketing industry.
Is a digital marketing internship necessary?
No, getting an internship in digital marketing is not mandatory, but it is highly recommended. This is because it can offer hands-on and practical experience that classroom learning or self-study cannot offer. Moreover, interning can help you meet other influential people in the industry, enabling you to build a strong network from whom you can learn and grow.
How to prepare for a digital marketing interview?
Research the company and the industry to prepare for a digital marketing interview. Review the job description and list your skills and experiences that align with the position. Prepare examples of using these skills in previous roles or projects.
Be prepared to discuss your understanding of digital marketing concepts and provide examples of how you’ve implemented them in the past. Read the success story of GrowthAcad’s ex-student.
Does Growthacad offer internships or jobs after the completion of the course?
Yes, Growthacad offers internships and job opportunities to students who complete their digital marketing courses in Pune and Nagpur. After completing the course, Growthacad provides internship opportunities to students to help them gain practical experience in the field.
This can help them build their skills and knowledge while getting exposure to real-world digital marketing projects.
Harshit Gupta is a digital marketing specialist and growth marketer with over 9 years of experience in the industry. He is the founder of NSDM INDIA (currently known as GrowthAcad), where he trained thousands of students over 5 years.
Harshit started his digital marketing journey with a startup called Hash & Karma, a performance-based digital marketing agency, where he scaled the company from zero to 50 clients in just two years. Connect him over LinkedIn & Twitter.